Search This Blog

Help Wanted - Honest People For Public Office

My main source of information about local politics is radio, newspapers, and gossip. Forget the local bloggers, they're wrapped up in themselves. 

So I got an idea that I needed to know more about the candidates than what the local propaganda machines kick-out. So I checked their websites to see if they had a resume. Some pretty lame stuff out there, but no resume per se.

So I emailed the candidates asking for a resume, that thing you send a prospective employer, aka the voters - you and me. As expected, no one responded. I guess they ain’t taking this seriously.

What achievements do they have that are relevant to the position? The candidate pool includes mostly retirees, bureaucrats, and nobodies. What's their reason for wanting the job? Do away with poverty, create jobs, fix sidewalks, raise taxes, or blatantly pander to special interests?

So I spent time looking over their sites to extract any relevant info. Lots of gaps, misspellings, and irrelevant achievements. Most have never held a job in the real world, carried personnel responsibility, or managed a  budget. And all clearly lack the requisite people skills critical to the job. Especially the incumbents.

I ask myself, why would anyone want the thankless job of city councilor? Well, the pay ain't that lousy, considering they work one day a week. It's a nice piece of change for a retiree who wants to relax and enjoy the golden years. Better than working as a Wal-Mart Greeter. There is health insurance, free cellphone service, and 2 months summer vacation. What more can one ask for?

I've come to the realization, as have many of you, that the incumbents have done little to stabilize the predicament of the taxpaying voting citizenry.

Promise them everything, deliver nothing. Ask Mayor Joe O'Brien, he knows how it's done.