Search This Blog

CMLP: A Citizen's Guide to Reporting on #OccupyWallStreet

CMLP has advice for those hearty souls involved in OccupyWallStreet:

Q1: Do the protesters have a right to assemble in Zuccotti Park? On the sidewalks? In the streets?
Q2: Do I have the right to record police action at the protest? Do I have a right to record the protesters?
Q3: May the police record me?
Q4: May the police search me? May the police seize my camera and view its contents?
Q5: If the police tell me to do something, do I have to do it?
Q6: If the police ask for my identity, do I have to provide it?
Q7: Does reporting on the Occupy Wall Street event give me the right to enter into private property without permission? To obstruct police activity? To block the sidewalk? To shove a cop?
Q8: Who should I call if I am arrested?